Sunday, February 26, 2012

Googles Next Venture

Google Goggles…sounds funny but could be a game changing prodcut.  Google is working on augmented reality goggles that will could display information right on the glass’ lens.  Resturant ratings,emails and directions can be conveyed without the user ever taking their eyes off what they are doing. Sounds great to me as I’m usually glued to my iPhone, sometimes at inappropraite times like driving or walking through a crowded area.

Rumors surfaced that the glasses would run on an android OS and ability to connect to a wireless provider, which brought up my first question… without a keypad on the glasses it would have to have the android equivelant of apples “siri” so the user could ask questions or direct inquiries? That would be pretty neat until the people around you see you talking to your glasses but I distinctly recall odd looks directed towards me while using the iphone headphones to make calls while in college (it looks like you’re talking to yourelf while walking down the street).  If the glasses can connect to a wireless network AND have a feature like “siri” wouldn’t the glasses also be able to make phone calls if they had a dedicated ear piece?

“Goggles…. Call the closest pizza place from my current location”

The rumored cost is about as much as an iPhone without a contract, 500-600 dollars.  For that much they better look good too.

Could these “goggles” disrupt the technological trend smart phones have been following or just become a substitute?  I personally think if the goggles include wireless voice service and can make calls, they can become the next big item.

“Goggles….. show me the directions to my pizza and it’s reviews”

“Goggles….. sell my iphone”

3 comments:

  1. Nice post Mike, I especially like the last line. I would like to see a picture of the Google Goggles. It would be interesting if they could be used as regular glasses as well. What's next? Contact lenses with internet access?

    With regards to your comment about the goggles not having a keyboard, I think this would limit them from being a substitute for a smart phone. However, they would certainly be a cool accessory, one that I would consider buying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fascinating see technology take these quantum leaps. I personally love technology and am a Si-Fi fanatic from early childhood. I marvel at how many Si-Fi ideas have actually become science fact... the possibilities are endless! As long as the an idea can be conceived, there lies the potential for making it a reality.

    This entire technical explosion we are currently experiencing is reminiscent of books like "Bladerunner", "Irobot" and "AI". Great stuff! We're living the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment got me thinking of how someday we'll probably have computers implanted inside us where we could just think of something and the information will be automatically downloaded.

    I think this technology sounds very promising and would be something I'd consider purchasing. Compared to the iPhone, I agree that this should not be considered a substitute but a completely new product altogether on the market. Even though is will provide the same services to the customer, customers will not put it into the same category as the smart phones available on the market. For example, if you compare tablets to laptops, they both offer the same services to the customer but there is merely a difference in packaging.

    ReplyDelete